I started weaving cloth for another jacket. I knew right off I’d weave 8 yards, leaving me plenty to play with for a new jacket.
I used some variation of purple in each section, except one. It was my intent to use it everywhere, but I got carried away winding bobbins and trying colors. I wound the bobbins with more than one thread. I mostly used two, but there were a couple of places I used three threads on a bobbin, and three threads on the floor, and did clasped weft. I really love the handle this gives the cloth.
Colors include 2 shades of green, 2 shades of blue, and turquoise along with various shades of purples. Some of these pictures don’t really do the piece justice, but these were when it was still on the loom.
Below is something that was brewing in my brain for awhile, and one night, I just couldn’t help myself. I sat at the loom, and I put this dream catcher in. I used 8/2 white yarn, a bowl, and I stitched a circle. Then I filled in the dream catcher the same way that I make the dream catchers. The only thing I didn’t do, yet, was put a bead in which represents the spider on the dream catcher. I may also use beads on the threads hanging from the bottom of it, but I’m a bit worried about putting beads on, because if someone wants to wash this, it would then have to be washed by hand. As it is now, it can be washed on a gentle cycle in the machine.
Here is the finished jacket.
The colors are pretty accurate, at least on my monitor. It was really windy yesterday when I took these photos, so I had to take them on the covered porch as close to the house as possible. Otherwise, the entire dress form would blow over, it was that windy!
I finished the front of the jacket by folding the center vertical edges in about an inch and a half, placing a very thin iron on interfacing inside the fold, then sewing down next to the folded edge as well as next to the selvage edge on the inside. That helped stabilize the edges. Eventually I’m hoping to find a nice closure for this. Either a really special button, or a fancy frog closure. I may just see if I can make one. I don’t know yet.
I added pockets, and reinforced the neckline because it was pulling badly. It’s all fixed now.
This jacket will be for sale, as will the first blue jacket I made. Once I have enough items made and I can fill a 10 x 10 tent, I will then send in my applications for a couple of shows that have very respectable people who sell at them, and see if I get juried in. If I don’t I think I’d be very disappointed.
I do have to say, I’m pretty proud of this jacket as well as the first one (in the previous post).
Now it’s time to get busy on the next one – not sure if it’ll be a jacket, or a vest, or a shirt….I have this need inside me to make another jacket and to get a little less controlled with the yarns, and to get a little more free with my weaving, but I also am having a grand time with being a bit traditional even though I only have a 2 harness loom. I feel driven to continue with the jackets, even though I want to make something simpler with the next couple of projects, because the jackets really are time consuming and stressful for me to make due to the fact I am free-handing all of this – no pattern except the one I made from the first jacket – and even then, this cloth was a different width so it wasn’t very helpful to have a pattern. I’m getting better at trusting my instincts though, as far as what to do. I’ve also learned a LOT about what I might do differently in order to make the next garments better.
Thanks for looking.